Economy

World Bank crisis funds: 27 countries line up after Iran war

World Bank crisis funds are drawing 27 countries into emergency planning after the Iran war, signalling wider sovereign liquidity strain.

By Helena Brandt4 min read
The World Bank Group logo is displayed on a office wall at the International Finance Corporation in Karachi, Pakistan February 4, 2026.

Twenty-seven countries have moved to secure rapid access to World Bank crisis instruments since the Iran war began, signalling that the conflict’s financial fallout is spreading beyond oil markets and into sovereign funding plans.

A World Bank tally reviewed by Reuters showed governments were lining up contingency support before a full balance-of-payments emergency took hold. Three countries had approved new instruments since the Middle East conflict began on Feb. 28, while a wider group was preparing to use the bank’s emergency toolkit if the war kept pressuring budgets, import bills or market access.

For investors, that broadens the macro picture. The war has largely been tracked through crude prices, shipping risk and inflation expectations. The World Bank document points to another channel: governments are preparing liquidity backstops through multilateral lenders when officials judge that external financing conditions could tighten quickly.

Under the bank’s Rapid Response Option, 54 countries had signed up for a facility that lets them redirect as much as 10 per cent of undisbursed financing during a crisis, Reuters reported. The tool speeds access to money already tied to existing programmes, giving governments a faster route to cash than negotiating a new lending package from scratch.

Ajay Banga said last month the lender’s crisis toolkit could make $20 billion to $25 billion available immediately and as much as $60 billion over six months if parts of its portfolio were reoriented, according to Reuters. Those figures show the bank planning for a broad shock rather than only a handful of country emergencies.

The instruments sit inside existing programmes. That means governments can recast money already on their books instead of waiting until markets turn and then trying to negotiate a fresh package. In a conflict-driven shock, that time can matter.

From oil shock to funding stress

A source familiar with the discussions told Reuters that “countries are definitely in wait-and-see mode.”

“Countries are definitely in wait-and-see mode.”
— one of the sources, Reuters

The language is cautious, but setting up crisis drawdown options takes political effort. Governments usually do not spend that effort unless they think volatility could last long enough to hit reserves, food and fuel bills, debt-servicing costs or investor confidence. The World Bank tally therefore reads as an early warning of wider macro stress, not a routine administrative update.

Reuters also cited Kevin Gallagher, director of the Global Development Policy Center at Boston University, as an outside economist following the issue. The report did not name the 27 countries seeking access, which makes the breadth of the tally more important than any single borrower. A secondary report by the South China Morning Post underscored the scale of the shift. If the list includes import-dependent or lower-rated economies, markets will read it as an attempt to line up funding before oil prices and tighter financial conditions force a more visible cash search.

The document matters even without a flagship emergency facility tied to the conflict. Quiet use of crisis clauses can tell markets more than a press conference, because finance ministries are changing their planning assumptions before the stress is fully visible.

An oil spike can still trade as a commodities story for a few sessions. When dozens of governments move to ensure multilateral money can be tapped quickly, the signal shifts toward public finances, currencies and development spending. For bond investors and central banks, it is a reminder that geopolitical shocks rarely stay confined to energy benchmarks for long.

For now, the World Bank figures do not amount to a rescue programme, and Reuters said only three countries had formally approved new instruments since the war started. Still, the direction is clear: sovereigns are moving from contingency planning to liquidity preparation. That makes the Iran conflict a funding story as much as a market one.

Ajay BangaIranKevin GallagherRapid Response OptionWorld Bank

Helena Brandt

Macro reporter covering the Federal Reserve, ECB, inflation prints and jobs data. Reports from Washington.

Related